Dental Fillings in Houston, Tx 77042
What are dental fillings?
Newer material for dental fillings are made up of plastics and ceramics. These materials can be designed to look like your teeth and blend in seamlessly in comparison to the traditional silver fillings. However, they are not as strong and durable as silver fillings are. This makes them better options for front teeth that we don’t use for chewing as often.
Who needs a dental filling?
- Lack of teeth brushing
- A chip in a tooth
- Lack of flossing
- Oral diseases and infections
If you notice pain or sensitivity in one of your teeth or can see a black spot, it’s likely you have a cavity and need a filling!
What does a procedure look like?
1. The dentist will decide if you need a direct or an indirect filling.
– Direct filling: These are done in one visit and often require a simple filling that can be completed in about an hour.
– Indirect filling: These fillings are for more severe cases, and they often take several visits to complete. They consist of onlays, inlays, and veneers in most cases.
2. The dentist will numb the area that the filling is being placed into. This is does with a topical or anesthetic or an anesthetic injected into the gums.
3. Your dentist will go ahead and insert the filling into the area that is decayed
4. You’ll then perform a few bite tests to flatten out the filling. This is to insure no pain or tenderness when you bite.
5. You’ll schedule a follow up appointment to let your dentist know if there is any discomfort!
What kind of doctor performs dental fillings?
Fillings can be performed by your family dentist or an emergency dentist. This is a common procedure that dentists are trained for during their time in medical/dental school. If you are experiencing minor pains from a cavity, you can schedule an appointment with your dentist to get the area looked at. They will then book an appointment for a filling if it’s needed.
However, if you waited and the pain has grown to be emergent, you’ll want to see an emergency dentist and they can usually do the procedure right away if its’s deemed necessary.